[darcs-users] darcs patch: Add --debug-http flag to enable curl and... (and 3 more)

Dmitry Kurochkin dmitry.kurochkin at gmail.com
Wed Aug 13 13:17:44 UTC 2008

On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 4:58 PM, Gwern Branwen <gwern0 at gmail.com> wrote:
> OK, for starters: I like the performance improvement here. Before darcs getting Tahoe took me 97 minutes, but with this I saw a 26 minute get. (Tahoe is a darcs-1 repo with ~2800 patches and roughly as many files.) Which is a considerable improvement, definitely.

Nice to hear!

> The bad news though is that this seems to completely break profiling support under GHC 6.8.2.
>
> That is,
>
> $ make clean && ./configre --prefix=/home/gwern/bin --enable-profile --with-curl-pipelining && make install -j10
>

> leads to:
>
> gwern at craft:16499~>http_proxy="" HTTP_PROXY="" =darcs get http://allmydata.org/source/tahoe/trunk                     [ 8:56AM]
>
> darcs failed:  Not a repository: http://allmydata.org/source/tahoe/trunk (RTS doesn't support multiple OS threads (use ghc -threaded when linking))
>

> This may or may not be a 6.8.2 specific issue, being unable to compile with profiling and threading, but it's definitely a problem of interest to me. If it got fixed in 6.8.3, maybe we don't want to do anything (but we'd still need some doc mentions, I think).

I never did profiling but looks like the problem is that URL module
now uses forkOS (and blocks in select() there for curl at least). I
have found this in GHC 6.8.3 release notes[1]:

# You can now use the -prof and -threaded flags together, although you
cannot also use +RTS -N2.

Does this fix the problem? There is no GHC 6.8.3 in debian at the
moment. And I do not feel like compiling it by hand.

Regards,
  Dmitry

[1] http://www.haskell.org/ghc/docs/6.8.3/html/users_guide/release-6-8-3.html