[darcs-users] Darcs 2.0.2 packages for Ubuntu Hardy: Build with which GHC?

Max Battcher me at worldmaker.net
Fri Aug 15 06:59:47 UTC 2008

Mark Stosberg wrote:
> It's great that there are Darcs 2.0.2 binaries available for Ubuntu Hardy
> through here:
>
> https://launchpad.net/~laney/+archive
>
> Thanks to Iain Lane for those.
>
> Does anyone know which version of GHC these are built with?
>
> It seems Ubuntu Hardy also has the dreaded "6.8.2" version installed that is
> known to cause a massive slow down for darcs.

A quick grep of the build log makes it appear that it is indeed 6.8.2:

http://launchpadlibrarian.net/15692552/buildlog_ubuntu-hardy-i386.darcs_2.0.2-0ubuntu1%7Ehardy1_FULLYBUILT.txt.gz

Which is what I expected.

I've been using the Ubuntu build from this PPA and have noticed the
slowdown but for me it's mostly been a minor irritant than a huge
problem, but the biggest repository I've worked with in Ubuntu lately
was the darcs.net repository when I was working on the manual patches.
I was most surprised to see progress/status messages during a darcs add.

(Then again, I've been having much more problems with the Debian Lenny
build in a VM, particularly because everything ghc-related refuses to
run at all with the older kernel of the underlying server...  I probably
need to do a full build of ghc and darcs by hand, but I haven't yet,
because I'm mostly spoiled by Ubuntu PPAs...)

--
--Max Battcher--
http://www.worldmaker.net/