[darcs-users] darcs and ghc..

Simon Marlow marlowsd at gmail.com
Mon Aug 18 14:34:42 UTC 2008

Simon Marlow wrote:
> Claus Reinke wrote:
>> |Do you get this using darcs 2?  We would appreciate a bug report!
>>
>> Well, okay, I'd like to switch to darcs 2 (forgot that Simon had already
>> convinced me earlier..). But according to darcs.net:
>>
>>    - the latest stable release is 2.0.2
>>    - the latest windows binary bundles are 2.0.0
>>    - there is a binary-only add-on from Simon (2.0.1rc2), with
>>        comment that one needs to use a different wrapper to use
>>        cygwin's ssh (which I'd prefer)
>
> I'll try to build & uplaod a more up-to-date Windows binary today.

darcs is in a pretty bad way on Windows right now.

   1. System.Posix.Files has confusion about COff, which on Windows
      is Int32, but since we're using stat64() on Windows the st_size field
      of struct stat is an Int64.

      All over the place darcs assumes that fileSize returns a COff, which
      it doesn't on Windows.  I suppose we need a type that corresponds to
      COff on Unix and Int64 on Windows, and use that instead of FileOffset.

      I'm a bit ignorant of how the whole configuration system works in
      darcs, so while I could fix this up with a few #ifdefs I'm sure the
      patch would probably be rejected because it needs autoconf tests or
      whatever.  So I'll leave this for now (if someone wants to tell me
      the right way to fix it I might find time to do it later).

   2. threadWaitRead only works in GHC 6.9+ on Windows, it shouldn't be
      used in earlier versions (affects Darcs.Utils).

there might be more problems lurking, this is as far as I've got.

Cheers,
	Simon