[darcs-users] darcs and ghc..

Simon Marlow marlowsd at gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 12:32:46 UTC 2008

Iain Alexander wrote:
> On 19 Aug 2008 at 16:42, darcs-users-request at darcs.net wrote:
>> Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 16:30:25 +0100
>> From: Simon Marlow <marlowsd at gmail.com>
>> Ok, but this procedure is not at all satisfactory for a few reasons: you
>> need both MSYS and Cygwin (well, perhaps MSYS only would work, but I didn't
>> succeed in building libcurl using Cygwin)
>
> There is a cygwin package libcurl4 containing /usr/bin/cygcurl-4.dll (and this
> is probably a compatibility version of one without the '4' - sorry haven't
> checked).  Is this unsuitable for some reason?

It's not possible (as far as I'm aware) to mix MinGW-compiled code with
Cygwin-compiled code.  Everything compiled by GHC is MinGW, so we can't
link to Cygwin libraries.

Confusion arises because we use Cygwin as a "build environment"; that is we
use all the Cygwin tools to build the software, it's just that the result
of the build is a plain Win32 executable rather than one linked against the
Cygwin runtime.

Cheers,
	Simon