[darcs-users] [darcs-devel] [issue992] short secure version identifiers

zooko zooko at zooko.com
Thu Aug 28 13:29:51 UTC 2008

Hello Max Battcher -- I'm sorry that I didn't see this letter that
you wrote to me on darcs-users on 2008-08-12.

On Aug 12, 2008, at 21:32 PM, Max Battcher wrote:

> Just out of curiosity, does he know about context files?  If so
> does he
> not find them sufficient?

Yes he does.  He uses them occasionally on the command-line, but more-
over he wrote darcs support in buildbot which uses context files in
places where other revision control tools use sequence numbers or
secure hashes.

He is dissatisfied with them because they aren't short and because
they aren't secure.

I actually sort of disagree with him on that latter point, or more
nuancedly I suspect that the vaunted secure-hash-based integrity
checks in monotone, git, et al., which Brian wishes to have in his
revision control tool, are actually insufficient to provide the kind
of security that we need, but I won't explain more about that in this
letter.

> I still think that right now the best documentation on context
> files is
> my own blog post:

By the way, way to go on adding more documentation to darcs!  Please
keep up your practice of converting your blog posts into wiki or
manual pages.

Regards,

Zooko
---