[darcs-users] [issue1042] I wish darcs-2 would do automatic darcs-1-compatibility.

zooko zooko at zooko.com
Fri Aug 29 12:32:40 UTC 2008

On Aug 29, 2008, at 1:22 AM, Eric Kow wrote:

> Zooko: is there anything we can do that might ease the upgrade
> path?  I hope
> that we can get far enough just by encouraging people to use hashed
> repositories
> locally and gently encouraging server admins to upgrade their darcs
> binaries.

Fresher darcs-2 binaries for more platforms [1].  The traditional way
to do this is to ask volunteers to do it, but I think it would be
better to ask the volunteers to contribute a buildslave and to help
write the buildslave script for building and uploading binaries.

Other than that -- and the topic of this ticket -- I can't think of
anything.  Darcs-2 is already propagating through the Free Software
ecosystem, e.g. Debian Lenny [2].  The general strategy that David
Roundy launched with darcs-2 and the three repository formats is a
good strategy for graceful upgrade.  (Although it continues to be a
problem that people confuse darcs-1-executables with darcs-1-
repository-format and darcs-2-executables with darcs-2-repository-
format, but it's too late to do anything about that now.  Or is it?
Hm...)

It would help to fix any regressions and release darcs-2.0.3 ASAP,
and for the 2.0.3 release announcement to be written and sent by
someone other than David Roundy.  I don't mean any slight to David
Roundy, for whom I have great respect and appreciation, but he has
demonstated, and stated, that he is not the right person for that job.

That's all I can think of.

Regards,

Zooko

[1] http://wiki.darcs.net/DarcsWiki/CategoryBinaries