[darcs-users] UTF8 patch

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Thu Dec 4 15:34:40 UTC 2008

Hi Rob,

On Sat, Aug 09, 2008 at 11:33:02 -0600, rob at hoelzro.net wrote:
> Sat Aug  9 12:15:10 CDT 2008  Rob Hoelz <rob at hoelzro.net>
>   * Added support for using the utf8-string library if it's available

I'm going to go ahead and apply this patch.  We've discussed it at
length on the list and I am now persuaded that it should be safe.

Sorry for the delay.  The basic principle I've gone on here is that
while (a) on the one hand it is probably a good idea to start phasing
out as much of our code as possible in favour of standard(ish) libraries
on hackage (b) this is something low level with the potential to break
darcs, and things which are this low level deserve lots and lots of
extra scrutiny.

This patch adds a little extra complication to our code (conditional
compilation), but this is just things getting worse before they get
better.  I think we should start marking our code with some sunset
comments so that we know how to start phasing out our convenience copy
of the UTF8 module.

Thanks for the patch, and the resend (Gwern) and the comments everybody.

PGP Key ID: 08AC04F9