[darcs-users] darcs patch: Hide the inefficient "darcs put" command.

Trent W. Buck trentbuck at gmail.com
Fri Dec 5 08:10:42 UTC 2008

I propose that the "darcs put" command be hidden until it becomes as
efficient as "darcs get".  That means it is not listed in "darcs help"
or in the user manual.

>From an IRC conversation just now with Petr "mornfall" Rockai,

twb> Is it just me, or is "darcs put" completely bloody useless?
twb>
twb> http://hpaste.org/12714
twb>
twb> AFAICT, both the local and remote uses of `darcs put' are
twb> provided easily by other commands.  Admittedly, "ssh x darcs init
twb> --repodir y && darcs push x:y" is a little more verbose than
twb> "darcs put x:y", but I don't think the use case is common enough
twb> to need a whole new command just to handle it.

mornfall> twb: The symmetry is nice. The problem is that put is sort
mornfall> of broken...  If it would work like get, then it'd be likely
mornfall> fine. But it doesn't.
twb> It doesn't feel symmetrical to me.
mornfall> Well, get/put makes for good symmetry. It's like pull/push.
twb> mornfall: at an abstract level, but not in the current implementation.
mornfall> I agree with that, too.

twb> I'm inclined to make a case for making it a hidden command until
twb> such time as it becomes as efficient as get.
mornfall> Well, I'd support that.  I think I have said before that I'd
mornfall> like to see put removed.

Fri Dec  5 19:04:16 EST 2008  Trent W. Buck <trentbuck at gmail.com>
  * Hide the inefficient "darcs put" command.