[darcs-users] darcs patch: Hide the inefficient "darcs put" command.

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Fri Dec 5 16:51:27 UTC 2008

On Fri, Dec 05, 2008 at 17:41:45 +0100, Josef Svenningsson wrote:
> >  - server commands - darcs transfer-mode in particular
> >
> I should perhaps clarify my general position a bit more here. The
> problem is not in hiding commands, it is in hiding functionality.
> Hiding aliases and stubs I don't see as a (big) problem. It is when
> the user finds out that in order to achieve certain things he has to
> delve into this secret cave of hidden functionality which is a
> confusing thing. Therefore my personal preference would be for the
> server commands not to be hidden. But since I don't use them (indeed I
> didn't know about the transfer-mode command until now) I don't have
> that strong an opinion in this particular case.

Hmm, so in this case, the server command is only invoked by darcs on the
client side.  We would not, for example, expect the user to call darcs
transfer-mode herself.

In light of that, would you still want it exposed? (just so people know
it's there).

For what it's worth, this is one of the reasons we keep trying to push
people into upgrading their servers to darcs 2.  It provides a sort of
ssh connection sharing (via darcs transfer-mode)

PGP Key ID: 08AC04F9