[darcs-users] Making default email address for 'darcs send' a preference

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Sat Dec 6 12:10:02 UTC 2008

On Sat, Dec 06, 2008 at 12:46:05 +0100, Petr Rockai wrote:
> I would probably prefer the email pref to be left alone, myself. Maybe better
> documentation is in place, but. The idea of the email pref is that it is *not*
> part of the *downstream* branch. What you do is

I agree that the local email pref is usually the right kind of pref and
that it should stick around.  I also share your skepticism about the
usefulness of a global email pref (and am nervous about people using it
when really they should be using the local one instead).

But if somebody really really really wants to submit code that (a)
creates a working global email pref that and (b) respects the local
email pref probably as an override, then I'll put it up for user
discussion (with my vote probably being no).

What would make me happier is if somebody could eliminate the source of
confusion by working out a good plan for making the global prefs
distinct from the local ones, which I think would solve the
documentation issue.  One possible plan is for darcs setpref patches to
be applied in something like _darcs/global/prefs instead of
_darcs/prefs/prefs.  Segregrate the user editable stuff from the darcs
stuff.  Research on the risks involved would be nice.

PGP Key ID: 08AC04F9