[darcs-users] [darcs-devel] darcs remove command

Max Battcher me at worldmaker.net
Mon Dec 8 00:55:33 UTC 2008

Trent W. Buck wrote:
> hg has a "smart" server (usually deployed behind apache's mod_proxy)
> that accepts patch pushes over HTTP using (I believe) the PUT command.
> At my office this is only authenticated by SSL (tied to our yp
> database), but I expect this could also work by GPG-signing prior to
> pushing to the smart server.
>
> HTTP pushing has a couple of benefits -- the user doesn't need to
> install an MTA (cf. darcs send), HTTP is usually allowed through even
> stupidly tight corporate firewalls, and it doesn't require the server
> admin to hand out ssh (i.e. commit) access (cf. darcs push).
>
> My naïve guess is that an HTTP PUT prototype could probably be
> implemented in a couple of dozen lines of Perl CGI script, and that
> this
> would be an adequate proof-of-concept to investigate further.

Darcs has had support since 2.0.x for doing darcs send to an HTTP POST (checking $remote/_darcs/prefs/post IIRC, before falling back to $remote/_darcs/prefs/email).  Adding support for this is on my TODO list for my own server-side environment, but somebody may already have a simple CGI script example of basic GPG-checking + darcs apply of POSTed patch bundles.

--
--Max Battcher--
http://worldmaker.net