[darcs-users] We would like to know if there is a GUI (graphical user interface) available for dracs ?

Trent W. Buck trentbuck at gmail.com
Sat Dec 13 08:00:27 UTC 2008

"techsgin" <techsgin at gmail.com> writes:
> We are considering using 'darcs' as a repository.
> It is a large repository with more then 200 subprojects.

First of all, you need to understand that unlike Subversion and CVS,
distributed VCSs don't support "subtree checkouts".  While you can have
a single repository "x" that contains a bunch of different projects
"x/a", "x/b" and "x/c", there's no way to say "I just want a checkout of
x/a" -- you have to checkout the entire repository "x".

What most people do, therefore, is make "x/a", "x/b" and "x/c" separate
repositories.  That does make it a bit tedious when you want to create a
checkout of the entire tree "x/" -- usually one writes a little helper
script for that.

> We would like to know if there is a GUI (graphical user interface)
> available for darcs?

I'm not aware of any actively maintained graphical interface for all of
Darcs.  There are various wrappers for pieces of functionality
(e.g. deps.pl or darcs-whatsnew.el).  I hear that TortoiseDarcs will be
under active development again shortly, but I assume that GUI requires
you to install Windows.