[darcs-users] darcs patch: DRAFT: resolve issue948: rewrite darcsman.

Trent W. Buck trentbuck at gmail.com
Sat Dec 20 15:11:59 UTC 2008

I'm going to bed now, so here's a status update for what I ended up
working on this weekend.  Hopefully I'll wrap it up tomorrow, but I
might get distracted by some other problem by then.

If I remember, I'll reply to this post with attachments of the output
darcs.1 and the resulting darcs.pdf (from man -Tps).

Key changes:

- Use .RS and .SS directives, which IMO result in better-looking page
  formatting.

- Use the section names from command_control_list instead of
  duplicating it in darcsman.hs.

- Make everything pure functions except for main (which stays IO
  monadic, of course).

- Make a show instance for darcs commands, which turned out to be a
  bad idea and will be backed out.

- Use ThisVersion as the manpage's "date", rather than the misleading
  current time.  If a real date is used, it should be the date that
  darcs (or the manual) was changed, not when the manual was
  recompiled.

- Replace the DESCRIPTION introduction with a rather more formal
  version, from darcs.cabal.

- Remove AUTHORS section on the advice of man-pages(7).

- Refactor BUGS and add SEE ALSO.

Sun Dec 21 02:02:38 EST 2008  Trent W. Buck <trentbuck at gmail.com>
  * DRAFT: resolve issue948: rewrite darcsman.