[darcs-users] darcs patch: some cabal fixes for 2.2

Trent W. Buck trentbuck at gmail.com
Mon Dec 22 12:10:29 UTC 2008

On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 11:39:54AM +0100, Salvatore Insalaco wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 7:48 AM, Trent W. Buck <trentbuck at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Sun, Dec 21, 2008 at 11:22:17PM -0500, Judah Jacobson wrote:
> >> The only issue I can think of is that people building with 0.3.* or
> >> 0.4.* might miss out on some haskeline bug fixes (such as the encoding
> >> issue mentioned a few days ago).
> >
> > Sure, but it should be their choice when to upgrade haskeline.  They
> > shouldn't need the bugfixes to build Darcs (unless those bugs actually
> > break Darcs, that is).
>
> I've got a different opinion about that. When we specify a version
> requirement in a build system (like cabal) we are saying "our program
> requires that library version to work", not just "to build".

Granted.

> If we know that a particular library version creates bug in darcs, we
> should not say that we support it.

Agreed; my point was regarding bugs in Haskeline that have no relation
to Darcs.  As an imaginary example, if 0.4 doesn't support the Home
and End keys, but 0.5 does, that is not a good reason for darcs.cabal
to claim "build-depends: haskeline 0.5.*", i.e. for it to claim
"doesn't work with haskeline 0.4".