[darcs-users] 2.2.0pre1 tarballs ready for testing (cabal feedback)

Mark Stosberg mark at summersault.com
Tue Dec 23 15:34:51 UTC 2008

> If you have "cabal-install" on your system, that is the "cabal" executable, you
> should be able to run:
>
>     $ cabal configure
>     $ cabal build
>     $ cabal install
>
> and obtain working ~/.cabal/bin/darcs. Alternatively, if you don't have
> cabal-intsall, you should be able to say:
>
>     $ runghc ./Setup.lhs configure
>     $ runghc ./Setup.lhs build
>     $ runghc ./Setup.lhs install
>
> but this will likely try a system-wide install. If you omit the install step,
> you should find a darcs executable under dist/build/darcs/ -- you can copy it
> somewhere or just run it from there.

That looks like a good start. It should also include how to install
cabal or runghc if you don't have them installed.

> I'll try to look around for a generic cabal INSTALL file that we could
> distribute with darcs. Maybe
> http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Cabal/How_to_install_a_Cabal_package would
> be a good starting point?

Yes. Advice like this seems generally good:

 "If your operating system has a packaging system (e.g. most Linux or BSD
 distributions), check whether it is already packaged there."

If the "cabal" package would be named anything other than "cabal", be
sure to note that. I assume that "cabal" just depend on the ghc package. For a
non-Haskeller who just wants to get darcs installed, I would recommend the "runghc" variation,
because it avoids installing cabal just for the purpose of installing darcs.  If there is
a significant benefit or difference with using the "cabal" variation, I would note that.

    Mark