[darcs-users] darcs patch: ./src/ByteStringUtils.hs: remove trailin... (and 64 more)

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Fri Dec 26 08:22:09 UTC 2008

Trent W. Buck writes:

 > > Unfortunately, I don't know whether Darcs tag semantics would support
 > > this usage, since I've not used them this way, and "help tag" doesn't
 > > show a "--delete" or "--force" option.
 >
 > Darcs supports deleting tags (darcs obliterate or unrecord) as they are
 > ordinary patches.  It doesn't support "moving" tags, or what you might
 > call "aliases" that point to the most recent of a kind of tag.

Hm.  I would suppose that the only way to get a dependency on a tag
would be an explicit dependency (eg via "darcs commit --ask-deps").
Using "darcs unrecord" would be a little risky since third parties
might depend on the tag, and then they'd be in pretty big trouble
(although I suppose you could handle that by having the moving tag
depend on all previous fixed tags for that attribute, in the case in
point "branch-friendly").  But it seems like it could work in
principle.

 > TECHNICALLY the semantics you describe are possible, but only by leaving
 > a mess.  If you have fifty tags all called "stable" in the repository,

That's hideous!