[darcs-users] Bits from the RM: Deep freeze approaching.

Petr Rockai me at mornfall.net
Sat Dec 27 09:42:34 UTC 2008

Hi,

this is your RM again. Looking at the release schedule, the date of deep freeze
is approaching rather quickly. We basically have this weekend to get all the
remaining release goal patches into the release branch: only release-critical
bugs will be fixed after 30th of December. The list of issues that need to be
addressed by 30th of December (Tuesday) evening CET:

0) I have pulled my repair-corrupt.sh test and the GNU-ism fixes. This is the
current state of the branch. There are 13 patches outstanding that have been
applied to http://darcs.net but not branch-2.2. I'll sort them in groups:

1) I am ambivalent about pulling the documentation changes from Trent. Trent,
do you think they add value over the current state of the pre1 tarball and make
things no worse? I have only little insight into the state of the
documentation, so I will have to rely on you for judgement. If you ask the
changes to be included, I will review the patches to check they are free of any
side effects and pull them in.

2) The ColorPrinter refactor by Gwern. I am not pulling this in as it is just a
refactor. Gwern, if you disagree, please let me know and we'll see what can be
done. Moreover, I will let this in if there are further patches that qualify
for the release and depend upon this one. (Just please note that the window for
getting patches into the release is becoming somewhat tight...)

Then there is a set of patches I have posted recently.

3) There are some cabal test changes. I am NOT pulling them into
release. Justification: more useful for developers, otherwise unnecessary
mucking with the build system.

4) Code cleanup (removing unused code): NOT going into release.

5) Fix of the repair/check memory leak. I want to pull this, but I would like
to have Dmitry's review first. Moreover, it would be nice if people could
hammer on check/repair in current http://darcs.net/ version of darcs and report
back. I will postpone pulling this patch to Monday. Hopefully, we'll have some
further feedback on it by then.

6) Fix race in download code, when global cache is enabled. Cf. issue1273. I
will postpone this to Monday as well, it would be great if Zooko could check
that this indeed fixes the problem for him. I won't hold my breath over
additional review and will trust Eric on this one. Goes in on Monday bar
unexpected problems.

And finally, there's the buildbots which we need to have sorted, in a way. This
has no strict deadline at 30th, but the sooner this is done, the better.

7) I'd like to ask buildslave owners to bring their slaves online and let them
build the latest tree. It'd be good to see as many slaves green as possible by
the time pre2 is tagged, that is 3rd of January. That still gives you a week to
tend to your buildslave: please do not neglect them, every buildslave can make
a difference in the quality of darcs 2.2. And we all want 2.2 to be top-notch,
right? Thanks!

Yours,
   Petr.

PS: Kowey, I promise to look at merging the bits from the release branch back
into mainline real soon now, that is before I start working on tarballs of
pre2. I'll darcs send the patches together with conflict resolutions.