[darcs-users] darcs patch: ./src/ByteStringUtils.hs: remove trailin... (and 64 more)

Max Battcher me at worldmaker.net
Sat Dec 27 10:06:07 UTC 2008

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> Trent W. Buck writes:
>
>  > > Unfortunately, I don't know whether Darcs tag semantics would
> support
>  > > this usage, since I've not used them this way, and "help tag"
> doesn't
>  > > show a "--delete" or "--force" option.
>  >
>  > Darcs supports deleting tags (darcs obliterate or unrecord) as they
> are
>  > ordinary patches.  It doesn't support "moving" tags, or what you
> might
>  > call "aliases" that point to the most recent of a kind of tag.
>
> Hm.  I would suppose that the only way to get a dependency on a tag
> would be an explicit dependency (eg via "darcs commit --ask-deps").
> Using "darcs unrecord" would be a little risky since third parties
> might depend on the tag, and then they'd be in pretty big trouble
> (although I suppose you could handle that by having the moving tag
> depend on all previous fixed tags for that attribute, in the case in
> point "branch-friendly").  But it seems like it could work in
> principle.

In practice though, I think it would probably make more sense in darcs just
to make a (auto-) clone repository for your "moving tag"...  That is just
create a "latest-clean" repository and keep that up-to-date (just as you
might have a "stable", or "buildbot-approved" repository).

Also, I think that your unrecord then re-tag situation won't work in
practice (due to other patches depending on your tag) without modifications
to darcs.

--
--Max Battcher--
http://worldmaker.net