[darcs-users] darcs patch: Rewrite "darcs help --match" output. (and 3 more)

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Sat Dec 27 20:43:02 UTC 2008

On Sat, Dec 27, 2008 at 06:19:15 -0800, Trent W. Buck wrote:
> | The --patches option yields patches with names matching an `extended'
> | regular expression.  See regex(7) for details.

See also http://bugs.darcs.net/issue1246

I've applied most of these

> Sun Dec 28 01:18:45 EST 2008  Trent W. Buck <trentbuck at gmail.com>
>   * Rewrite primitive matcher examples.

But I'm going to wait on this one, in case you wanted to tweak the logs
:-)

Rewrite "darcs help --match" output.
------------------------------------
> +        showExample keyword example =
> +            -- FIXME: this string is long, and its not a use case I've
> +            -- *ever* seen in practice.  Can we use something else,
> +            -- like "darcs changes --matches"? --twb, 2008-12-28
> +            "  darcs annotate --summary --match "
> +            ++ "'" ++ keyword ++ " " ++ example ++ "'"

I think so.  I've had to slap on a small patch because haddock didn't
like the stars in your (non-haddock) comment.  May be worth checking
if this is a haddock bug or not

Rewrite primitive matcher examples.
-----------------------------------
This patch rewrites examples to better reflect real world usage.  Good
idea.

Use indicative mood for primitive matcher help.
I am not a linguist, and my Wikipedia lookup says "The indicative mood
or evidential mood is used for factual statements and positive belief",
e.g.  "Jerry Seinfeld laughs on television"

 (which seems to be what we're doing now)

Do you mean "imperative mood", or maybe something completely unrelated
to mood?  I'll hold off on applying this in case you wanted to perfect
the comment (since you're taking the trouble to use a technical term
:-P) or maybe use simpler language

Haddock for primitiveMatchers (untested).
>  primitiveMatchers :: Patchy p => [(String, String, [String], String -> MatchFun p)]
> +                     -- ^ keyword (operator), help description, list
> +                     -- of examples, matcher function

Tested and works.  In the future, I'd appreciate it if you'd just test
it and not send a patch with an 'untested' comment.

Cheers,

PGP Key ID: 08AC04F9