[darcs-users] darcs patch: Rewrite "darcs help --match" output. (and 3 more)

Trent W. Buck trentbuck at gmail.com
Sun Dec 28 02:45:01 UTC 2008

On Sat, Dec 27, 2008 at 08:43:02PM +0000, Eric Kow wrote:
> Rewrite "darcs help --match" output.
> ------------------------------------
> > +        showExample keyword example =
> > +            -- FIXME: this string is long, and its not a use case I've
> > +            -- *ever* seen in practice.  Can we use something else,
> > +            -- like "darcs changes --matches"? --twb, 2008-12-28
> > +            "  darcs annotate --summary --match "
> > +            ++ "'" ++ keyword ++ " " ++ example ++ "'"
>
> I think so.  I've had to slap on a small patch because haddock didn't
> like the stars in your (non-haddock) comment.  May be worth checking
> if this is a haddock bug or not

I think it's a haddock bug, and it's one I've known about for a month
or two.  It has been sitting in my IN tray waiting for me to forward
it on to the Haddock people >sheepish<.

> Use indicative mood for primitive matcher help.
> I am not a linguist, and my Wikipedia lookup says "The indicative mood
> or evidential mood is used for factual statements and positive belief",
> e.g.  "Jerry Seinfeld laughs on television"
>
>  (which seems to be what we're doing now)
>
> Do you mean "imperative mood", or maybe something completely unrelated
> to mood?  I'll hold off on applying this in case you wanted to perfect
> the comment (since you're taking the trouble to use a technical term
> :-P) or maybe use simpler language

Oopsie, imperative mood was what I had initially.  I'll amend this one.

> Haddock for primitiveMatchers (untested).
> >  primitiveMatchers :: Patchy p => [(String, String, [String], String -> MatchFun p)]
> > +                     -- ^ keyword (operator), help description, list
> > +                     -- of examples, matcher function
>
> Tested and works.  In the future, I'd appreciate it if you'd just test
> it and not send a patch with an 'untested' comment.

Hehe, I was going to test it today, and if it worked edit the patch
name and resend.