[darcs-users] optimize --reorder-patches no longer needed by hashed darcs-2 format?

Dan Pascu dan at ag-projects.com
Mon Dec 29 06:03:25 UTC 2008

On Monday 29 December 2008, Max Battcher wrote:
> Dan Pascu wrote:
> > On Sunday 28 December 2008, Trent W. Buck wrote:
> > >  Incidentally, why do we have both --no and --dont prefixes?!
> >
> > Probably because --no-allow-conflicts sounds terrible compared
> > to --dont-allow-conflicts ;)
>
> But --no-conflicts might work.

I personally find --no-conflicts to be a poorer choice for 2 reasons:

1. It's less obvious that is the counter option for --allow-conflicts
2. It's less explicit in its meaning than --dont-allow-conflicts

I fail to see why the fact that there are both 'no' and 'dont' options is
an issue. It's both easier to remember and to write commands that more
closely track the native human language than to remember and write
commands which are easier to categorize and parse by a machine (it's
called 'human interface' for a reason ;). It has to be easy and natural
for humans to use it and humans think and remember easier if they have to
write it like they think it.

--
Dan