[darcs-users] darcsless on the other end

Tom Hawkins tomahawkins at gmail.com
Wed Dec 31 04:40:39 UTC 2008

Today our software group was able to migrate from Cygwin/Windows to
Linux, which allowed us to move from darcs 1.0.9 to 2.1.2.  We all
noticed the improvements right away.  Many thanks!

However, we had one minor annonyance in the transition.  The Linux
shell hosting company we use for our common repository has a pretty
old version of glibc.  GHC 6.8.1 was the newest version I was able to
get installed to build darcs on the server.  My concern is at some
point, darcs will require a later version of GHC, and this will send
me shopping for a new shell/VPS provider, which is always a total
pain, usually ending in frustration and disappointment.

This got me thinking... Is there any way to use darcs to access a
remote repository through ssh, but without having darcs installed on
the remote server?  If not, this might be a feature worth considering.
 It's always a battle to get "custom" software installed and running
on a server controlled by a hosting company.  However, ssh is provided
by default, and maybe logging in and transferring files is all that's
needed for darcs.  Just a thought.

Thanks again, and have a Happy New Year.

-Tom