[darcs-users] Need help getting off darcs

Nathan Gray kolibrie at graystudios.org
Thu Jan 3 02:14:46 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jan 02, 2008 at 03:38:29PM +1100, James D Sadler wrote:
> So... what I want to do is convert repository with history over to
> another DVCS, which will probably be git.  The problem is that every
> script I have tried to use to perform the conversion has failed when
> darcs tries to allocate memory and there isn't enough left.
> Fundamentally all of the scripts work by pulling each patch into a new
> repository one at a time, and then importing the differences into
> another DVCS.
>
> I can reproduce this behaviour just by running darcs standalone and
> trying to pull the very first patch from our repo into a brand new
> repo.  (the first patch is quite big ~ 150Mb).  Darcs fails with the
> 'resource exhausted (out of memory)' error.  And this is on a Linux
> box with 4gig of RAM and not much else running.

I have been working on way to rebuild a darcs repository with a shell
script.  I was running into memory issues using darcs commands, but
found that I could generate a shell script via XSLT from the
'darcs changes --xml -s --reverse' command.  The shell script reads some
number of patch files directly from _darcs/patches and generates a patch
bundle, which is then applied to the empty target repo.

> I am very worried at the moment.  Unless I can convert the history to
> a new DVCS, I may as well kiss it all goodbye: the repo has become too
> large and darcs performs terribly for it to be a useful means of
> exploring history.  darcs annotate nearly always fails, for example
> (again, out of memory).

I have not had any memory problems creating these patch bundles, nor
when I 'darcs apply' them.

> So my question is: does anybody know of a way I can salvage my repository?

I can send you some sample XSLT if you would like.

-kolibrie