[darcs-users] quadratic _user_ time when recording!

Isaac Dupree isaacdupree at charter.net
Fri Jan 4 21:31:59 UTC 2008

This is strictly(?) a user-interface bug:

I have lots of unrecorded changes (say, n hunks).  I want to record them
into logical patches (say, m patches... m is likely proportional to n).
  Darcs can only record one patch at once, so I have to go through the
decreasing list of hunks each time... O(n*m) of my human time!

workarounds:

if there are changes that I know are in one file (which I can find out
in the first run through the patches), I can do `darcs record
[filename(s)]` to weed those patches out.  But in my case, most of the
patches touch lots of files, not all different ones from each other.

Note that I want to sort the several (about 300, in my case) hunks into
several groups (patches), but I don't know quite what patch-divisions I
want right at the beginning because I don't remember everything I've
done.  (And I don't necessarily want to record every change, if some are
unfinished.)

So it's a little bit of a complicated user-interface design problem, but
very important (to me at least - this has happened to me before too,
when I do a bunch of hacking and finally end up with change-sets that
are somewhat presentable, but I can't usefully record intermediately
because I'm still learning exactly what I want to do at that point).  Am
I missing something?  Is this a known/documented issue somewhere?

~Isaac