[darcs-users] Need help getting off darcs

Isaac Dupree isaacdupree at charter.net
Fri Jan 4 14:35:35 UTC 2008

Daniel Burrows wrote:
>   I'm also kind of curious about darcs internals, so I was wondering if
> you could tell me where I'm wrong in the following reasoning.
>

>   AIUI, saying that "patch A depends on patch B" is equivalent to saying
> that A touches (modifies or deletes) lines introduced by B.  [0]  If
> that's the case, then if M is the number of lines affected by A, surely
> N <= M, and so the asymptotic performance/size requirements are O(M)?
>
>   Put more practically, it seems like you could avoid having to
> recalculate patches by caching which patch is responsible for any given
> line of the current pristine tree.  That would inflate repository sizes
> by a constant factor but would mean that darcs didn't have to
> constantly recalculate patch relationships.

what about
initially:
line= A
patch 1 changes "A" to "B"
patch 2 changes "B" to "C"
patch 3 changes "C" to "D"

now patch 3 indirectly depends on patch 1; I don't know what that means
to darcs.  It gets more complicated when each patch also modifies other
parts of files, thereby dragging in other patches as dependencies, and
apparently conflicts/resolution make this nontrivial to deal with?  I
don't know, I don't think I understand darcs internals any better than you.

~Isaac