[darcs-users] [ANNOUNCE] Push Me Pull You 0.2 - Tech Preview Release

Mark Williamson mark.williamson at cl.cam.ac.uk
Tue Jan 15 21:30:22 UTC 2008

Hi all,

I'd like to announce a new release of the Push Me Pull You (pmpu) tool; a GUI
for distributed revision control systems.

PMPU supports plain hg, hg forest repositories, bzr, git and darcs as
underlying repositories.  It aims to provide a powerful graphical interface
to the underlying functionality, based around the workflow of incoming and
outgoing changesets.

PMPU is implemented in Python and PyQt4 and is tested on Linux, though it
should work on other Unix platforms.  I eventually hope to support Windows
hosts also.  For hg, bzr and git, plugins are supplied to improve integration
with the command line interface of the underlying system.

My DVCS of choice is Mercurial but I aim to properly support the other
backends and have this be an SCM-agnostic system.  I would appreciate expert
feedback about my implementation of all the backends including Mercurial,
including advice if I'm doing things wrong and suggestions of further
enhancements.

Please treat this as experimental software, released as a technical preview.
The error handling is not very good and my understanding of the underlying
SCMs is still somewhat incomplete.  I regard it as fairly safe and solid and
it hasn't eaten my data during all my use and testing but please be cautious
nonetheless.  I don't want to make it sound like it's going to destroy the
world ;-) but I'm very aware that most users of revision control have
critical data to manage.

The website is here: http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~maw48/pmpu/ and contains links
to a downloadable tarball and the Mercurial repository.

Please feel free to send me e-mail with feedback or questions, no matter how
insignificant.  There's no user documentation, so don't hesitate to ask me
questions about how things work.  Private e-mail is fine if you prefer.

Cheers,
Mark

--
Push Me Pull You - Distributed SCM tool (http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/pmpu/)