[darcs-users] next stable release?

Jeremy Hinegardner jeremy at hinegardner.org
Wed Jan 23 20:43:56 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jan 23, 2008 at 08:18:56PM +0100, Tommy Pettersson wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 23, 2008 at 08:50:53AM -0700, Jeremy Hinegardner wrote:
> > Hey all,
> >
> > I think I have completely overlooked something, or am confused by the
> > differences between darcs.net saying the next prerelease is 1.1.0pre1
> > and the wiki saying the next prereleae is Darcs2.
> >
> > So, simple question.  Is the next stable release going to be darcs2 or a
> > darcs 1.1.0?
>
> Hi Jeremy,
>
> No, the next stable release will be 1.0.10. :-)

Cool, no worries.  Just trying to figure a few things out.

> Sorry for the confusion.
>
> Darcs has gone through some heavy changes since 1.0.9, with a
> few wrong turns, but is now settling at what will become darcs2.
> It is the work of David and some other bright guys. I have tried
> to keep up with the stable branch, pulling in safe parts from
> the unstable repo, but I don't have as much time for darcs as I
> used to any more. The 1.0.9 release has been fairly stable, but
> a few annoying and sometimes hurting bugs are now known, and I'm
> trying to put together a 1.0.10 release. It was initially
> intended to be the 1.1.0 release, but is now only going to be a
> bugfix release for those not yet ready to make the switch to
> darcs2. Darcs2 will be able to work with old darcs1
> repositories, so it is the "real" next stable release. There is
> a good momentum of work in darcs2 right now, so it's even
> possible darcs2 is ready before 1.0.10.

Well if I may, can I lobby to have the patches from

 - http://bugs.darcs.net/issue544
 - http://bugs.darcs.net/issue597

be included in 1.0.10?  They will help me package it up for Fedora.

Also, I'm assuming that darcs2 and darcs can coexist safely on the same
machine at the same time?  I'll start putting together a spec to package
up darcs2 for Fedora.

enjoy,

-jeremy

 Jeremy Hinegardner                              jeremy at hinegardner.org