[darcs-users] Using darcs with a shared Linux server

Patrick Waugh ptwaugh at gmail.com
Fri Jul 25 18:56:06 UTC 2008

Hi,

I'm new to darcs and revision control in general.  I have a shared
hosting account, and I want to begin to use darcs in my software
production cycle.

Basically, after much reading I cannot figure out how to get/use darcs
on my shared server.

What I'd like to do (I think) is use my server as a Master repository,
because it is backed up etc.  I'm not sure, but after much thought,
and please correct me if I'm wrong, I want to have a local repository
on my local system, but not in the actual directory tree where my
project is located.  In other words, my current code would be my
working directory, and the local repository would be used to "commit"
changes.  Those would then be pushed to the master repository... like
perhaps at the end of each day.  Is this flow right?

Am I able to use darcs on my siteground.com server which has all the
necessary software running, without having shell access?  I uploaded
the .pl server scripts but was not able to get them to do anything.
I'm not even sure what they are supposed to do, although I guess I can
read them to find out, I'm hoping someone can steer me to the info I
need.

Thanks, Patrick