[darcs-users] GHC and Darcs

Patrick Waugh ptwaugh at gmail.com
Wed Jul 30 13:34:27 UTC 2008

Good find.

I have to say that I have to agree.

I had to go back to the old version in order to get darcs-client (of
darcs-server) to work, because I don't have time to learn Haskell.
I'd really rather use darcs2, because of improvements, but oh well.

We program in C++, C#, or Java, and Haskell code really looks very
unmaintainable us compared to proper OO code.  But, to each their own.
 I think when even the quick sort example on the GHC site admits that
in reality it doesn't scale, and is really slow, etc. Anyone can see
that while for certain problems it might be a cool tool, it might not
be the be all end all.

I'd love it to be a big success because I think darcs itself is a move
in the right direction.

Further, if darcs were in C++, or Java, we'd happily get involved in
development and maintanence as it is what we want without the
headaches of SVN or CVN.

Patrick