[darcs-users] performance (was GHC and Darcs)

Ashley Moran ashley.moran at patchspace.co.uk
Wed Jul 30 17:01:01 UTC 2008

On Jul 30, 2008, at 3:21 pm, Eric Kow wrote:

> As I mentioned on Reddit, darcs essentially suffers from the day job
> problem.  If we could get a Haskeller whose job is to work on darcs,
> at least for a few months, I think we could make a lot of progress.
> (The best candidate would of course have some experience with writing
> fast Haskell, and of course, funding).

Is this just a symptom of the relatively small Haskell community?
Real World Haskell is due to be published soon - if this turns out to
be a turning point for Haskell then maybe this problem will rectify
itself, hopefully before too many people have unfairly dismissed it.
Right now it's hard to get into Haskell - I know because I'm trying.
The barrier to entry is high - and if in reality it isn't high, *the
Haskell community must make that known*.

I know that's not a darcs-specific issue, but it affects darcs
ultimately.  Mercurial and Bazaar would have the same problem, but
there are legions of Python programmers who use the language for their
day job, so the barrier is removed for anyone that wants to be a part-
time SCM hacker.

Just my opinion, anyway...

Ashley

--