[darcs-users] performance (was GHC and Darcs)

Jason Dagit dagit at codersbase.com
Wed Jul 30 17:08:44 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 10:01 AM, Ashley Moran <
ashley.moran at patchspace.co.uk> wrote:

> On Jul 30, 2008, at 3:21 pm, Eric Kow wrote:
>
> > As I mentioned on Reddit, darcs essentially suffers from the day job
> > problem.  If we could get a Haskeller whose job is to work on darcs,
> > at least for a few months, I think we could make a lot of progress.
> > (The best candidate would of course have some experience with writing
> > fast Haskell, and of course, funding).
>

> Is this just a symptom of the relatively small Haskell community?
> Real World Haskell is due to be published soon - if this turns out to
> be a turning point for Haskell then maybe this problem will rectify
> itself, hopefully before too many people have unfairly dismissed it.
> Right now it's hard to get into Haskell - I know because I'm trying.
> The barrier to entry is high - and if in reality it isn't high, *the
> Haskell community must make that known*.

Have you identified the barriers that you're facing?  The #haskell irc
channel happens to be an excellent resource for learning Haskell, assuming
you have the ability to use IRC.  There is a great wiki at haskell.org but
it rarely comes up in google searches making it of limited utility for
people that don't already use it.  There is also the haskell-cafe mailing
list, but YMMV.

Let us know if we can point you in the right direction(s).

Jason