[darcs-users] performance (was GHC and Darcs)

Max Battcher me at worldmaker.net
Wed Jul 30 21:48:28 UTC 2008

Ashley Moran wrote:
> Right now it's hard to get into Haskell - I know because I'm trying.
> The barrier to entry is high - and if in reality it isn't high, *the
> Haskell community must make that known*.

It really shouldn't be that high.  If you are having serious problems
may I recommend taking a pit stop in the land of Lisp or Scheme?
Lisp/Scheme has a simpler syntax and lacks the type system that
simultaneously makes Haskell more powerful and more complex to work
with, and lets you just focus on learning some of the semantics
(vocabulary) and paradigms (methods of doing things, modes of operation,
thought patterns, tools, tips and tricks)...

I don't write Haskell much yet, but I do see that my experience with
Common Lisp (and to a lesser extent Python) generally give me a bit more
insight into the language when I try to read it than I got from just
trying to read Haskell-specific tutorials...

--
--Max Battcher--
http://www.worldmaker.net/