[darcs-users] darcs patch: Check for bash before running shell tests. (and 3 more)

Isaac Dupree isaacdupree at charter.net
Fri Jun 13 19:29:33 UTC 2008

Eric Kow wrote:
> Basically, it would be nice if the results of darcs send under Windows
> were as nice as they are under Linux

it would be nice if they were nice under Linux!  [warning: frustrated
rant ahead]  Last I checked, I still have to configure it in an annoying
way... whereas, at least in this Ubuntu GNOME, in general, `xdg-email`
seems to work fine to send an email with my default email program... (on
the other hand, its --attach option seems to be broken with Thunderbird
(thunderbird faux security and gnome-open failing to work around that?),
and the GUI program won't tell you when the e-mail has been sent: anyway
you don't know when you can delete the temporary file.  Why do
attachments have to be files?  it's really annoying because then (1) you
have to create a temporary file, not just e.g. a data: url, and (2) the
attachment name has the same name as the file, so for uses other than
darcs I have to rename the actual filesystem-file  Oh well...)

Also, even with the way I have darcs working with Thunderbird, it gets
the XXXXXXs in the name of the temporary darcsXXXXXX file wrong for the
e-mail program, so I have to go in the file browser to pick the right
attachment instead.  The main benefit I actually get from using 'darcs
send's e-mail support (rather than -o to a file) is that it fills in the
target e-mail address I should send to, fetched from the source repo's
_darcs IIRC -- anyway, something I'd rather not look up and enter myself.

Long ago I tried various command-line email things like ssmtp, which
never worked out very well: and anyway I shouldn't have to configure
anything like that when I have my settings already stored in
Thunderbird(which unfortunately hoards them and isn't a very
well-behaved program in general)

-Isaac