[darcs-users] Dealing with File Addition Conflicts

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Tue Jun 24 20:58:27 UTC 2008

Eric Y. Kow writes:

 > Also: if you fix some of the conflicts, without recording a patch, and
 > then do mark-conflicts, darcs will probably behave as if you (in
 > addition to the conflicts it is trying to mark) have some extra
 > conflicts with the working directory.

The message from mark-conflicts indicates that you may lose your work.

 > It's really a question of pay-off and priorities.  As good as it would
 > be to fix this, we may be better off focusing on darcs's other problems
 > instead.

The easiest way to "fix" it is to have Darcs consider that identical
patches to the same "place" don't conflict, which Darcs 2 already
does.  Thus, the adds don't conflict, but then the hunks which insert
contents do, and you get the familiar conflict markup.  => Fix Darcs 2
bugs, get it to where David pronounces it stable, and migrate.

Regarding better UI for conflicts, that would be interesting, but I
don't have a good idea about how to do it (either at the UI level or
implementation level).  David has a bunch of old posts and/or sections
in the Patch Theory appendix where he describes unravelling mergers.
A UI for introspecting that process might be fun to watch, and
occasionally educational.