[darcs-users] firewalls everywhere

Rodney Price rod at thirdoption.info
Sat Mar 15 05:43:55 UTC 2008

Three of us are attempting to collaborate on a Haskell project, but we don't
work for the same company and corporate firewalls are getting in the way.
 Since this situation keeps coming up, and I have to build ad hoc solutions
every time, I'm looking for a once-and-for-all kind of answer.  That answer
may be sending darcs patches by email to my little group, keeping three
separate repositories.  Could I get some advice on how to do it?
I've read through the darcs manual and it appears to me that there are
several possible ways to proceed.  Ideally, each one of us would set up our
email clients to automatically grab an incoming email with a patch, and
apply that patch to our own repository.  I use OS X 10.5.2, so I can set up
a rule in Mail.app to run an applescript when a patch comes in.  Another
member of the group, behind another firewall, uses Windows.  Presumably
there is some client out there that could do something similar.  (Outlook??
 eep)  The third group member uses Linux.  Presumably procmail et al could
do the job.

I'd use http, but company policy says I can't.  I don't see how to use https
-- my firewall blocks many of the https methods.  The company firewall
blocks ssh. Seems to me that email is about the only common denominator.  If
we could automate it (even somewhat) we might have a solution.

Any experiences like this?

Thanks,
-Rod Price