[darcs-users] Exchanging patches between case sensitive/insensitive filesystems

Rob Hoelz hoelz at wisc.edu
Thu Mar 27 15:33:48 UTC 2008

Hello fellow Darcs users,

I'm having a bit of a problem pulling patches from a FAT32 filesystem
on my flash drive.  Allow me to elaborate:

Here's a (simplified) view of my repository:

$ ls /home/rob/repo
AUTHORS IDEAS include/ src/

Now I'll copy it to my flash drive:

$ cd /mnt/flash
$ darcs get /home/rob/repo
$ ls
authors ideas include/ src/

Why the all-uppercase files end up all-lowercase, I don't know;  I
can't change it for some weird reason; this is likely the root of my
problem.  Let's say I add a line to ideas:

$ echo "Eureka!" >> ideas
$ darcs wh -s
M ./ideas +1

and record (I'll spare you the details).  Now when I try to pull the
patch into /home/rob/repo, I have the following problem:

darcs failed:  user error (Error applying patch to recorded.
Running 'darcs repair' on the target repository may help.
./ideas: openBinaryFile: does not exist (No such file or directory))
Your repository is now in an inconsistent state.
This must be fixed by running darcs repair.

While the problem lies in FAT32, I believe, I thought I'd come here
looking for suggestions, as I'm sure someone here has encountered this
problem before.  Thanks for any help you can give me!

-Robert Hoelz