[darcs-users] revision identifiers

David Roundy droundy at darcs.net
Fri Mar 28 16:58:04 UTC 2008

On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 05:26:27PM +0100, Declan Naughton wrote:
> Why can't checksumming the context produce a suitable identifier, I
> must ask? What are the uses in it being "universally unique" that we
> would miss out on, anyhow? We can still seek through the repository
> history and get specific revisions?

The checksum of a context wouldn't allow us to determine what context it
describes, since the number of possible contexts we'd need to try goes as
N!, where N is the number of patches in the repository.  I think that'd be
a bit too expensive.  Best to just include the entire context.
Department of Physics
Oregon State University