[darcs-users] darcstats doesn't work for me

Alberto Bertogli albertito at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 23:42:54 UTC 2008

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 06:47:27PM -0700, zooko wrote:
> Thanks for the help!  I'm grateful to you for providing darcs tools,
> and even for doing a little bit of support for them after you've
> stopped using them yourself.  That's very nice of you.

You're welcome, but it's not a big deal =)

> > Which commit is causing the problems?
>
> This one.  The bad character comes after "welco" and before "me":

Ok, the bug is not in darcstats.

By default, darcstats assumes your repository is in utf8. If you have
commits in different encodings, you should tell darcstats so, by running
it like "darcstats -e utf8 -e latin1".

For each line, darcstats will try to decode it using the first encoding,
and if that fails the second, and so on. Note that usually only two
encodings are used (utf8 and one of the "classic" ones) because there is
no way to distinguish between two "classic" encodings. When all the
encodings fail, you get the error you saw.

In your case, running darcstats like the example above fixes this.

I've added a patch to show a decent message when this situation happens,
you can find it in the repository (which is at
http://auriga.wearlab.de/~alb/repos/darcstats/).

Thanks!
		Alberto