[darcs-users] multiple heads

Matt Palmer mpalmer at hezmatt.org
Mon Mar 31 01:34:27 UTC 2008

On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 01:55:55AM +0100, Declan Naughton wrote:
> As far as I understand, it is necessary to create a new repository to
> undo a couple of patches? (or does unrecord work many times? does it
> cease to work at tags?)

Unrecord will work as often as you need it to, and it doesn't stop working
at tags, since tags are just another patch.

> Using unrecord is also unideal since you are losing data... Which many
> RCS users will NOT LIKE.

I think you've got a mistaken view of darcs and how it's supposed to work.
Unrecord (and it's more violent cousin unpull) *can* lose data, but it's by
design, not by accident.  I can use 'rm' to cause data loss too, but I'm yet
to see anyone seriously advocate for the removal of rm from Unix.

> I think it would be a great thing if we could rid unrecord from darcs.

I think it would be a terrible thing if unrecord was removed.

It might help your understanding if you think of darcs as being a little
more like multiplayer quilt than some sort of mercurial clone with different
commands.  Darcs is (thankfully) like no other revision control system out
there, and it can definitely take some getting used to.  Making sweeping
statements about it's design before you understand what it's trying to
achieve probably won't endear you to anyone, though.

- Matt