[darcs-users] darcs patch: darcs prefs: remove type witness stuff, breaks compiles

David Roundy droundy at darcs.net
Thu May 1 10:41:35 UTC 2008

On Thu, May 01, 2008 at 12:07:57AM -0400, Gwern Branwen wrote:
> On 2008.04.30 07:03:45 -0700, David Roundy <droundy at darcs.net> scribbled 1.2K characters:
> > On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 11:34:35PM -0400, gwern0 at gmail.com wrote:
> > > Tue Apr 29 23:19:21 EDT 2008  gwern0 at gmail.com
> > >   * darcs prefs: remove type witness stuff, breaks compiles
> > >   It's worth noting that the test as it stood ran on every patch record, and allows patches to be recorded only if one can compile with type witnesses.
> > >   It's also worth noting that 6.8.x can't compile everything with type witnesses, and lispy says 6.6.1 can't either. So, in general, turning on type witnesses in this particular place strikes me as a very very bad thing to do.
> > >   If Dr. Roundy wants to automatically test compilation with type witnesses, the thing to do is to have the configure script turn it on if an example compiles, say. Forcing it on just leads to breakage and considerable annoyance for people who have to rm _darcs/prefs/prefs just to record some patches.
> >
> > No, the default should be to run all tests.  If you don't have ghc 6.6 on
> > your machine, you can trivially configure your repository to run a subset
> > of the full test suite.  This is a per-repository configurable option,
> > after all.
>
> I still don't follow.
>
> I don't see how forcing compilation with known broken stuff is a 'test'.

Because if it compiles on any system, then it proves that the code isn't
broken.  Your compiler is incapable of proving that, but mine can.

> I don't see how the current record hook can be said to 'run all tests'
> when it doesn't even do something like 'make test_network' (or whatever
> other tests are omitted as well).

Right, we ought to add test_network and the unit tests.  Will do.

> And I don't see why being a 'per-repository configurable option' is any
> sort of justification or defense; by that logic, everything in the
> configure script is per-repository configurable, and we might as well
> default to type witnesses, remove the capability tests, hardwire in
> package names, etc...

All you have to do is set your own prefs.  That's why it's there.  And you
don't need to compile with tests enabled.
Department of Physics
Oregon State University