[darcs-users] darcs patch: refactor "_darcs" to darcsdir variable

Gwern Branwen gwern0 at gmail.com
Thu May 1 19:01:08 UTC 2008

On 2008.05.01 09:55:07 +0200, Joachim Breitner <mail at joachim-breitner.de> scribbled 1.9K characters:
> Hi,
>
> Am Mittwoch, den 30.04.2008, 22:02 -0700 schrieb Jason Dagit:
> > I'm not a fan of hardcoded values and I realized we have "_darcs"
> > appearing all over in the source base.  So in the spirit of relaxing
> > mindless programming tasks I've refactored it all to Darcs.Global (not
> > sure that's the right place, but the other ones I tried created module
> > import cycles).
> >
> > Enjoy,
> > Jason
> >
> > Wed Apr 30 21:26:50 PDT 2008  Jason Dagit <dagit at codersbase.com>
> >   * refactor "_darcs" to darcsdir variable
>
> Just wondering: I’m sure this has been discussed before, but is there a
> good reason for allowing ".darcs" as well, at least optionally for local
> repositories (that people don’t pull from over a slow link)? Or maybe
> darcs could look in "_darcs" first and then in ".darcs"?
>
> Greetings,
> Joachim

I think the point against making the 'alternate' simply ".darcs" (raised in the bug tracker anyway) was that then you would have serious problems whenever you created a repository to track $HOME - because ~/.darcs/ is already used for cache and preferences. A good point, for me, since I do manage $HOME and do use cache and custom preferences...

--
gwern
package Yakima Tzvrif Knife Tony Weekly Bob HRT TOS DJC