[darcs-users] HTTP support and Windows Build

Gwern Branwen gwern0 at gmail.com
Mon May 12 18:17:08 UTC 2008

On 2008.05.12 10:48:09 -0700, Jason Dagit <dagit at codersbase.com> scribbled 2.1K characters:
>    Hello,
>
>    Last time I checked the windows build of darcs required an installation of cygwin.  I think
>    this was needed for:
>    * autotools
>    * http support?
>
>    Was there anything else that required cygwin?

As I mentioned, possibly the functionality exposed in the 'unix' package.

>    Do we have any pure Haskell HTTP libraries that can be used without needing any thing except
>    GHC and an HTTP Haskell library?  Specifically, could we end up with a statically linked darcs
>    that doesn't require libcurl at compile time?

Well, I've looked at this a wee bit. As you say, the issue is in replacing curl.

I've tried in the past to understand src/URL.hs, but I don't entirely follow the complex things it is doing with Curl. If all we needed was simple downloading, I'm not sure why we couldn't use 'http' (or perhaps one of the http-alikes which use ByteStrings, like <http://www.dtek.chalmers.se/~tox/darcs/http-strict>). But that might require giving up curl features, I suppose.

--
gwern
loch SASSTIXS Unix Military ^X Yukon BUDS Mexico Digicash secops