[darcs-users] down with autoconf

zooko zooko at zooko.com
Wed May 14 22:57:49 UTC 2008

Folks:

I just spent an entire workday (when I probably should have been
doing other things) trying to make the darcs autoconf/configure
scripts do the Right Thing on Windows.  I now have to join the ranks
of people who complain loudly that autoconf is absolute hell to debug
or extend.

Hopefully I will be able to provide something more specific and
constructive later, but at the moment I am too overwhelmed with the
awful feeling that I just wasted a chunk of my life and made no
discernable progress towards my goal.

If I'm to be responsible for a certain amount of darcs support going
forwards, for example building darcs on Windows, then please allow me
to vote in favor of us at least exploring the option of an
alternative to autoconf.

Regards,

Zooko