[darcs-users] darcs goes faster if you break a repository up into successive chunks of patches?

Reinier Lamers tux_rocker at reinier.de
Tue May 20 09:45:59 UTC 2008

Op Tuesday 20 May 2008 04:49:59 schreef zooko:
> http://progetti.arstecnica.it/tailor/changeset/1507
>
> """To migrate a big darcs repository it is faster doing a *chunked
> approach*, that is using an intermediary repository where you pull
> say a couple of hundreds patches at a time from the real source
> repository ... """
>
> Does anybody know why this is?  It sounds like an opportunity for
> darcs optimization.
In attacking bug #777, I noticed that when darcs creates a patch bundle, it
tries to take an SHA-1 hash of al the bundle text. When you do a "darcs put"
with a big repository, the bundle is too big to fit in your RAM, so the
machine grinds to a swapping halt. Could something similar also happen when
you do a pull?

Reinier