[darcs-users] Hashed pristine format

hoijarvi hoijarvi at me.wustl.edu
Mon May 26 21:19:53 UTC 2008

Yes, Kind of. I' planning to use darcs show files combined
with darcs whatsnew -s, and with that I can get the
information what I need.

The problem is linear performance with repository size. With
my personal speed benchmark standard, "darcs show files >
null" takes already 10 seconds. It is completely
unacceptable to run this when the shell extension asks for
the first icon. That's why I'm planning to have a worker
thread to maintain my own repository cache, and then query
file statuses from it. I could swear it will work but I
would not bet it will.

With old fashioned pristine, tortoise shell extension can
query the status of each file directly. This works with
reasonable speed, and with big network repositories it does
not lock the explorer.

Thats why I'd like to be able to query the status of an
individual file and directory with about constant speed.
darcs whatsnew -s already reports number of modifications in
the file, which uses time for things I don't need.

Kari