[darcs-users] wishlist for darcs 2.1 -- green buildbots

Karel Gardas karel.gardas at centrum.cz
Thu May 29 11:56:32 UTC 2008

Simon,

Simon Marlow wrote:
> zooko wrote:
>
>> Next, karel's solaris box fails to compile, with this error message:
>>
>> http://buildbot.darcs.net/builders/karel%20solaris%20Solaris-5.11%
>> 20nevada-79a%20x86_64/builds/43/steps/compile/logs/stdio
>>
>> [ghc] src/OldFastPackedString.o
>>
>> src/OldFastPackedString.hs:98:0:
>>      Bad interface file: /usr/local/ghc-2008-05-04/lib/
>> ghc-6.8.2.20080430/lib/base-3.0.1.0/System/Mem.hi
>>          magic number mismatch: old/corrupt interface file?
>
> We have a suspected bug in GHC that causes this error randomly.  Due to the
> lack of a repeatable test case, we haven't made any progress on tracking it
> down.  If anyone can repeat it, we'd love to hear about it.

I've just kept machine working on duplicating this issue whole morning
today. I've completely loaded it and keep it working 100% loaded with
gcc compilation and ghc compilation to make sure it's really heated to
the max level. And I've not been able to duplicate it so my former idea
that this might be from overheating goes into trash. Thanks for your
kind notification. I've also already started to suspect ghc, but indeed,
it's hard to duplicate this issue.

> There are other things that can cause the above error message: e.g. old or
> corrupt interface files, as the message says, so the above instance might
> not be "the bug", I just thought I'd mention it in case you've ruled out
> other causes.

Indeed, all other cases are already ruled out now. BTW: what's a ticket
number of this issue?

Thanks,
Karel