[darcs-users] Using darcs 2 with darcs-1-format repo and other darcs-1 users seems to introduce "bug in get_extra" regression

Mark Stosberg mark at summersault.com
Thu May 29 16:54:57 UTC 2008

Hello,

Today I tried out darcs 2.0.0 on FreeBSD 6.2, built from the port. At the
moment it is not practical convert the project repos to the darcs 2.0 format,
so they remain at in the darcs 1 format. This machine has personal repos on it
and an "alpha" repo.

A second machine as the beta repo on it, and use FreeBSD 4.x and darcs 1.0.6.
(Because the OS is old now, it is difficult to upgrade darcs there ).

After pushing three patches with darcs 2 to the alpha repo and then pulling
them to the beta repo with darcs 1.0.6, I get a "bug in get_extra" before the
interactive prompting of pull ever starts.

However, after unpulling those patches from the alphasite, and repushing them
with 1.0.9 and then pulling them to beta with 1.0.6, the bug is not triggered.

So, it seems by using darcs2 to push patches to a darcs1 format repo, some kind
of regression is introduced so that darcs 1 (At least 1.0.6) can't read the
patches anymore.

Known issue or bug?

I'm sorry I'm not sure how I'd set up a reduced test case for this.

For now, this is blocking our adoption of darcs 2 (at least until we get the
OS and darcs upgraded on the beta machine).

I am saving a copy which could potentially be used to set up the trigger case,
though.

    Mark

( For those who've been wondering where I've been: I've been on vacation some,
being a new dad, and hopefully wrapping an important real-life project. )

   Mark Stosberg            Principal Developer
   mark at summersault.com     Summersault, LLC
   765-939-9301 ext 202     database driven websites
 . . . . . http://www.summersault.com/ . . . . . . . .