[darcs-users] Migrating a related set of branches to darcs-2 format

Will Thompson will at willthompson.co.uk
Fri May 30 17:35:32 UTC 2008

The DarcsTwo wiki page[0] states that `darcs convert` should be
performed “once per project, not once for each repo.”

Most of the components of the Telepathy framework[1] are kept in darcs
repositories.  Some components have only a single active branch, but
others have quite a few branches pending review[2] (telepathy-gabble,
for instance, has at least 10).  There's a growing feeling that we
should move away from darcs 1 to something that handles the inevitable
conflicts (in particular, those caused by parallel changes) arising from
having so many branches better than darcs 1; darcs 2 seems like a
sensible candidate.  :-)

How would we go about migrating all of the branches of a particular
project to darcs-2 format?  My interpretation of the dire warnings given
by the wiki page and `darcs convert` is that we should find a common
subset of patches, convert that repository, then migrate each branch to
a copy of that converted repository by re-recording every patch.
Someone on #darcs confirmed this, suggesting that we should use tailor
to automate the re-recording.

Is this correct?  Has anyone done this?  If so, do you have a script
and/or tailor configuration file we could re-use?  (I perused the
darcs-users archive but didn't see anything relevant; apologies if I
missed some earlier discussion.)

[0]:
http://wiki.darcs.net/DarcsWiki/DarcsTwo#head-c2f1634509dbd6aa2a6b8e184f6ce9569ea66e55
[1]: http://telepathy.freedesktop.org/wiki/