[darcs-users] transitioning to cabal

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Sun Nov 9 15:06:38 UTC 2008

Hi all,

This patch bundle swaps the Cabal and the franchise builds, making the
Cabal build the preferred one.  I'll be pushing it tomorrow.

I have also removed the darcs.cabal.in which is used by franchise to offer
hackage and cabal-install support.  I assume that the franchise work would
mostly concentrate on the build-system aspects of things, and not the
packaging ones.

David: Thank-you /very/ much for your franchise work; it was really a
big step forward for us in making sure that darcs builds smoothly on
Windows.  I realise you are likely to be unhappy about this move, and
apologise.  I also deeply appreciate your concern for keeping darcs
accessible to our users by trying to match autoconf's functionality.
Cabal is a far from perfect solution, but perfect solutions do not yet
exist.  I am convinced that this puts us on the right side of the
various build system trade-offs.

The debate is over. Let us satisfice and move on.

Things to note
--------------
1. The configure script and makefile will remain the official build method
   at least until the 2009-01 release and maybe even until 2009-07.
   You are welcome to try the Cabal based build and send bug reports on it.

2. Cabal 1.6 is required for this build.  You can download it from
   hackage and install it by hand:
   * http://hackage.haskell.org/cgi-bin/hackage-scripts/package/Cabal
   or you can just use cabal-install:
     cabal update
     cabal upgrade cabal
   and while you're at it...
     cabal upgrade cabal-install

3. There is one downside from the user perspective.  Until Duncan fixes
   issue #342 (link below), configuring darcs with Cabal may require
   some manual intervention.

   We have sensible defaults which should 'just work', provided you have
   libcurl on your system.  But if you would like to use a different HTTP
   library, you will have to pass in a configuration flag, for example:

     runhaskell Setup configure -f libwww

   I believe only the http libraries are really affected by this.  The
   rest of the defaults are either sensible enough, or behave just like
   the old configure script did anyway.  Another example of using the
   flags, this time to use the HTTP and haskeline packages, but to unset
   the terminfo flag:

     runhaskell Setup configure -f http,haskeline,-terminfo

   Right now the available flags and defaults are

      curl                 True
      curl-pipelining      False (needs libcurl 7.19.1)
      libwww               False (alternatives are curl and http)
      http                 False (alternatives are curl and libwww)

      haskeline            False
      curses               False (needs libcurses)

      external-bytestring  True  (must be unset for GHC 6.6)
      external-zlib        True  (uses Haskell zlib)
      terminfo             True
      color                True

   See the darcs.cabal file for more details.

Further information
1. Enfranchising darcs!
   - http://lists.osuosl.org/pipermail/darcs-users/2008-October/014849.html

2. Cabal is not perfect
   - http://wiki.darcs.net/index.html/CabalWishlist
   - http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/hackage/ticket/342

3. Cabal user's guide
   - http://www.haskell.org/cabal/release/latest/doc/users-guide/

4. Satisfice, a word I learned only very recently
   - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satisficing