[darcs-users] new Windows Czar and Review Team

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Mon Nov 10 21:30:30 UTC 2008

Hi everyone,

On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 20:50:01 +0000, Eric Kow wrote:
> That said, I do plan on decentralising darcs authority as much as I
> can (the goal is to make the darcs team more robust and one day run
> itself), so I will trust whatever you think is the best decision.

It just occurred to me that this message may have been out of context of
most of you on the list, so with apologies for the lengthy message, here
are some of my hopes for the new darcs team:

Windows Czar
------------
To my great delight, Salvatore has volunteered himself for the position
of Windows Czar... which means that we may have somebody to help us
prepare darcs binaries for Windows after all (depending on what he
thinks is the best timing) and also somebody to turn to when we
accidentally break something on Windows.  This is a pretty big step
forward for us, it means that we may meet those objectives of catching
darcs's Windows support up with our support for other operating systems.
Thanks, Salvatore!

Review Team
------------
Another experiment I am attempting is to distribute the role of
Maintainer.  Traditionally, when a new patch arrives on the mailing
list, we hope that somebody will step up and review the patch on their
own accord.  This sometimes happens, and it's great when it does.  If
it does not happen on the other hand, the Maintainer will do the review
(as the responsibility is ultimately his/hers).  While this usually
works, I think we can do a better job still, one which allows us to
handle a higher volume of patches, and which helps more of us to pick
up knowledge about darcs (thereby strengthening the team).

This is where the Review Team comes in.  The new model is that when an
incoming patch will be triaged by the maintainer, who will request that
somebody on the review team have a look at it.  This makes the
Maintainer role a little bit more like that of an Issue Manager and a
little bit less of a de-facto Project Leader.  Basically, I would like
us to take some small steps towards decentralising authority in the
darcs team (hence my remark to Salvatore).  The Maintainer will still
have the final authority over the patches and the responsibility to push
them in.  As Maintainer, I intend to provide mostly a cursory review and
overview and trust the reviewer to do the job.

As you can expect this is still somewhat centralised, and we can do
more, but I think we should respect the darcs traditions of caution and
gradual change.  So let's start with this and see how it goes.

Anyway, the current members of the Review Team are:
 - Eric Kow
 - Dmitry Kurochkin
 - Petr Rockai

You can sign yourself up on the wiki:
  http://wiki.darcs.net/index.html/DarcsTeam
All skill levels welcome! (I'll try to adjust accordingly)

Darcs Weekly News Editor
On a final note, I would be interested to see if anybody would like to
take over as Darcs Weekly News editor.  The job is mostly automated, and
should take no more than one hour a week.

Many thanks!